Register for Undergraduate Research with ME and NRE Professors

Please note that VIP has a different application process. Pay attention to all deadlines. The general process is:

  1. Contact professors directly to set up a research assignment. All details including the topic, deliverables, hours, etc. must be worked out with the professor.
  2. Request a permit through the on-line research request database for ME and NRE professors.  If you are working with an instructor in another department, contact the advisor in that department for instructions. 
  3. After approvals are completed you will be issued a permit to register for your CRN/course.
  4. Register for the class before phase 2 registration is over for that semester.
  5. Understand if/how the research can be used in your curriculum.

Undergraduate Research Permit Request (ME & NRE Only)

VIP Application

    Research Class Types

    Research is a general term, but includes each of the class types listed below.

    • Special Problems are an individual study in certain specialized areas, including mathematical analyses or experimental investigation of problems of current interest. This can include design projects.  Special problem classes are 4903 and are taken for class credit.
    • Research Opportunities are independent research conducted under the guidance of a faculty member.  Research assignments are 4699 for juniors and seniors and 2699 for freshman and sophomores. Research assignments are taken for class credit.
    • Paid Research Opportunities are research internships. Students are paid for working on a project. The class will be on your transcript, but no class credit is given for this option and no grade is received for this class.  Students who received PURA awards register for the paid research class, 4698. 
    • Presidents’ Undergraduate Research Awards (PURA) are competitive financial awards given to students who are doing research.  PURA either gives students a salary or pays for travel expenses to present research at a conference.  Students must apply for PURA awards.
    • VIP: Vertically Integrated Projects unite undergraduates and faculty research in a team-based context.

    Find Research

    The best way for you to find a research opportunity is to talk to professors directly. Look through the Woodruff School Research Areas and see which professors are doing research that you may be interested in. You should then contact the professor, send a copy of your resume and ask if he/she is interested in sponsoring you for research. Going to see the professors in person is also a great idea.

    Request a Permit to Register for ME or NRE Research

              Research Permit Request      VIP Application

    • All ME and NRE research and special problems courses require a permit to register.  See link above.
    • If you plan to do research for a faculty member outside of ME, you need to contact that department for instructions to request a permit.
    • All ME and NRE research assignments must be submitted by 11:59 PM EST on Thursday of the first week of school during phase 2 registration.  Submissions after this time will not be processed in time and the student will not be able to register for the research class for that particular semester.
    • After the request is processed, students will receive an email with the CRN of the course for which they should register.  It is the student's responsibility to register for the course prior to the close of phase 2 registration.
    • All courses are nominally 3 credit hours.  For the 3 hour class, students are expected to do 9 hours of research each week during fall and spring semesters, and 14 hours each week during summer semester.
      • Classes for alternative credit hours are permitted and must be arranged individually with the professor.
      • Fall and Spring Semesters:  For each hour of class a student must complete 3 hours of research per week.
      • Summer Semester:  For each hour of class a student must complete 4.5 hours of research per week.
    • Each course must culminate in a mutually agreed upon set of deliverables which are to be submitted to the faculty advisor for grading.  These deliverables can be a written report, an oral presentation, a computer program, etc. 
    • All unpaid courses are taken for course credit and are given a letter grade.

    How Research Classes are Used in Your Curriculum

    Students can use either a max of 6 credits of VIP courses or a max of 6 credits of research / special problems courses (2699, 4699 & 4903) as free electives.  If doing both research/special problems and VIP, a total of 9 credits are allowed. Research, special problems and VIP cannot be used to satisfy the ME Elective, Engineering Elective, Math/Science Elective.

    Blank Space (small)
    (text and background only visible when logged in)